1. The purpose of George Spilich's experiments is _______.
A) to test whether smoking has a positive effect on the mental capacity of smokers
B) to show how smoking damages people's mental capacity
C) to prove that smoking affects people's regular performance
D) to find out whether smoking helps people's short-term memory
2. George Spilich's experiment was conducted in such a way as to _______.
A) compel the subjects to separate major information from minor details
B) put the subjects through increasingly complex tests
C) check the effectiveness of nicotine on smokers
D) register the prompt responses of the subjects
3. The word“bested”(Line 3, Para. 5) most probably means _______.
A) beat B) envied C) caught up with D) made the best of
4. Which of the following statements is true?
A) Active smokers in general performed better than deprived smokers.
B) Active smokers responded more quickly than the other subjects.
C) Non-smokers were not better than other subjects in performing simple tasks.
D) Deprived smokers gave the slowest responses to the various tasks.
5. We can infer from the last paragraph that _______.
A) smokers should not expect to become airline pilots
B) smoking in emergency cases causes mental illness
C) no airline pilots smoke during flights
D) smokers may prove unequal to handing emergency cases